Friday, November 02, 2007

Update - November 1, 2007 - Who's that Girl?


A woman approaches the Kabin, where she hovers, and is unsure about entering. Norris thinking she is a potential thief/vandal/terrorist asks her if she needs any help. She says she doesn’t need any help and enters the Kabin. Inside she makes small talk with Bill Webster and tries to pick him up – but surprisingly he doesn’t fall for it and moves on. Norris asks, "Are you going to sexually harass every man that walks through that door?". Norris says she's been looking at the cards for an hour now. "Do you have the slightest intention of making a purchase?" She grabs the closest card and puts it down on the counter. Norris suddenly changes when he sees it's a sympathy card. She leaves without the card. He calls after her, but she tells him the card is for him. "Why would I need a sympathy card?" he asks. "Have a look in the mirror," she tells him. Ouch. Later, Norris has been going on about the “strange” woman to Rita. "Norris, have I ever told you what a tolerant and enlightened fella you are?". He suddenly tries to rush away – the strange woman comes towards them. But it seems she is Doreen, Rita's old pal from her showbiz years. "Do you know her?" Norris asks, aghast. "Do you work with him?" Doreen looks disgusted. "Every day," says Rita. "Oh, well, in that case," Doreen tells Norris, "you'd better pass the sympathy card on to Rita."



On the Street, Sarah tells Jason he'll get the hang of plastering soon. They're interrupted by Bill Webster, who comments on the amount of plasterboard in the old bakery. Jason says the whole place needs doing and Bill tells Sarah she should hang on to Jason – as plastering is a skilled job and anyone who can do it will never be short of a bob or two. He walks on, leaving Jason even less sure of his ability to do the job. Later on, Eileen leaves little Holly with Jason at the old bakery and is screaming her head off. Jason shakes the pram and sings Is This The Way to Amarillo. He is interrupted by Jodie, who is worried he's not going to be able to finish the refurbishment in time. She takes over checking on the baby and tells him Holly needs changing. "I'll be back tomorrow and I want all this plastering finished." And she doesn't want to see the baby. What about Jamie as a babysitter?


Cilla receives a letter through the post at breakfast. Chesney’s headmaster wants to speak with her. In the office, Cilla points out that Chesney is living with his sister. Mr. Griffin says it's not just Chesney's behaviour that worries him, but his emotional state. He's unpredictable and angry. She clarifies that she is in the clear health wise, but he is still concerned about Chesney. He says he's been teaching for nearly 20 years but he's never seen a child hit quite as hard. Les arrives home to Cillas chopping up furniture in the yard. Cilla says she wants to make the place somewhere Chesney will want to come back to. Les asks her to come to the Rovers to tell him all about it. Later, in the Rovers where Les is angry that the headmaster tried to make Cilla feel guilty. "Do you want me to go up there and sort him out?" But it seems Cilla has finally realized what she's done to Chesney without even realizing it.


Becky sees Hayley and rushes out to talk to her, trying to apologize. Hayley tells her there are some things that can't be repaired. She says she “stuck her neck out” for Becky when others told her not too, and Becky still chose to make a fool of her. "I can't forgive that." Becky begs for one more chance, but Hayley says, everybody's got a line, even me. And you've just crossed it."



In the Rovers, Steve complains about the crisp sales being down. He tells Liz the problem is that their customers just want the normal salt and vinegar, cheese and onion. "None of this hand-cut, hickory-smoked, char-grilled ostrich and mango in a poncy little bag." (Can someone tell me what is going on with Liz’s hair?) It's clear he's dwelling on the fact that he's just a cheese-and-onion kind of guy, as opposed to the flashy Sonny. Michelle comes into the pub in waving her new watch – 17 diamonds round the face and accurate to within five seconds a month. Liz asks if it is water resistant. She tells her, it is. "Oh, good, 'cause that'll come in handy if it falls off and lands in the drip tray." Michelle goes out to back to put the watch in a safe place, Liz tells Steve that if all Michelle is interested in is fancy watches and baubles, she'll always be chasing the likes of Sonny. He shouldn't try to compete. There are plenty of really lovely girls out there who love salt and vinegar. Awww.



Sonny walks in the Rovers and asks for a drink and is about to pay with a fifty pound note. He tells Michelle to refuse the note. Sonny offers to buy a mineral water. "It's not the 50’s that are fake – it's usually the guys that are waving them around," he jabs. Later, Michelle finds Steve standing behind the Rovers. She yells at him for insulting Sonny in front of the whole pub. "He was trying to buy a water with a £50 note!" Steve shouts at her. "Holding it up like it was the flipping FA Cup!" "Why are you being so vile?" Michelle asks him. "Do you still fancy me or something?" Steve laughs. "It's got 17 diamonds round the face," "His company's worth £4 million. He's got a swimming pool . . . you know, listening to you has made me realize just how superficial and flipping money-mad you really are!" Steve tries to apologize, but Michelle thanks him. She says, she chose the right man for once.


Sean walks up to the bar and sees Sonny and says, "Sundip? What are you doing here?" he asks. Sonny tries to leave, but Michelle sees him and introduces Sonny to Sean. "Well, is he what you expected?" she asks. "Not exactly, no," a flabbergasted Sean replies. Michelle goes to get Sonny a drink, Sean says: "Well, well, well. I think you and me need to have a catch-up, Sonny."

Song playing the Rovers: By the gorgeous/stunning Paolo Nutini – Last Request

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-nlZ0tnsXQ




29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mayfair girl excellent update! Thanks for the link to the gorgeous Paolo Nutini I've heard his music but had no idea how cute he is!

I thought Steve was really rude to Sonny for a pub owner he has a lot to learn. I don't think Jason has the skills to carry out the job on the kabob shop, I think he is in way over his head! They have got to get a proper child minder for Holly that dirty shop is no place for a baby.

Debbie said...

Mayfair, I want to thank you for the song link, I am making a trip to the itunes store right now.

Mayfairgirl said...

Other wicked Paolo songs: New Shoes, Jenny Don't be Hasty.

Did anyone else notice, they only play British singers/bands in the pub?: Badly Drawn Boy, Doves, Stereophonics, Fratellis - just to name a few.

Debbie said...

Wait until you hear the constant Amy Weinhouse.

Anonymous said...

No, that is Amy Winohouse.

Anonymous said...

Mayfair Girl,

Re: Liz's hair. I was informed, after seeing something similar on another stylist at my salon, that the two-tone look was "IN" this season.

Which just proves that there's no accounting for taste.

Michigander Fan

Debbie said...

HA!

pip said...

Gawd, please no Amy Winehouse!!! I think people should take the same approach to her that they are taking to Britney - don't enable her by buying her CDs. On the other hand, is it really my business if she wants to drink/drug herself to death?

I also remember hearing Keane about a year ago, speaking of bands that need rehab.

Oooh, so what's the Sean/Sonny connection. I purposefully slashed them, because I think that's it.

Anonymous said...

About time Cilla recognized that her little game had consequences. I cannot believe how that child is being raised - there's never any food in the house, etc.

My cats are treated better than poor Chesney.

MF

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve,

I like Salt & Vinegar Chips. Never had Cheese & Onion, so cannot comment.

Am personally offended by "poncy mango chips".

Quit smoking and move out of mommy's nest, and we may go somewhere!

Sincerely,

MF

Jacqueline said...

In the meantime Steve, grab your fags and come ona my house!

Whitehorse Fan said...

At the end of this episode Mr. WHF turned to me and said, "We didn't see Tracy once this episode." And that's when I realized that I enjoyed the episode, and I hadn't for a while. I am rather tired of Tracy and her bleating mother.

Pip, I think that's the connection too. Poor Michelle. But we knew something had to happen. Better gay than evil, though.

Anonymous said...

Pip,

Wait - are you saying that you think Sean and Sonny used to be an item?

That would be an interesting "other shoe", for sure.

And not nearly as terrible as what I was thinking... I do tend to think the worst of people. I was sure that the $$$ was drug money.

If that's the case, then I guess he must switch hit? Would that be a dealbreaker for Michelle, do you think?

MF

Whitehorse Fan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pip said...

MF, he could be both a switch hitter and a drug lord, couldn't he? That would be something. And Steve will have burnt his bridges with Michelle by being such a little dick. (He's too childish to rate 'prick' status.)

Debbie said...

Please, Amy Weinshouse is amazingly tallented. She is a fantastic singer, songwriter and performer.

Whitehorse Fan said...

Re: Sonny

I don't think he is a switch hitter, but is gay trying to go straight for lord knows what reason. I think Michelle wouldn't care if he were a switch hitter, but would shrug and ask, "why didn't you tell me before."

And maybe a drug lord too.

Anonymous said...

Pip,

Oh. Well, ye-es. I guess he could be both. I'm a very linear thinker. The circles didn't intersect in my brain until you pointed it out. But there could be a sub-set.

Actually, when I first read your original comment, it didn't compute, because my thought process went, "No, because I'm pretty sure Michelle and Sonny have done 'it', so he couldn't have been with Sean."

And yes, I know about Freddie Mercury.

I'm the sort of person who, when she gets back too much change from a vending machine, attempts to put the extra money back into the machine, because it's the "wrong amount."

Like I said, not an outside of the box thinker. Ever.

MF

Debbie said...

I'm totally into the bisexual drug lord sceanrio. Although, while bisexual is totally understandable, I don't get the leap to drug lord, but I am prepared to accept it.

Anonymous said...

aww.. whenever i see a "comment removed" i feel i've missed out on something good. Anyhoo...everytime i see Liz now i think Cruella DeVille. I kinda thought Michelle was a little over the top. Yes, show the new watch..point out it has 17 diamonds etc..poor taste.

Anonymous said...

Debbie,

The drug lord thing came first. I was operating under the assumption that (1) he was too good to be true and (2) he had an awful lot of green for somebody so young.

I'm from Detroit, and trust me, in my experience, it's very often the case.

MF

Anonymous said...

Whitehorse,

Well, your scenario could be right as well. Sad, but possible.

MF

pip said...

I'm not saying Amy Weinhouse isn't talented, I'm just saying she's a trainwreck waiting to happen and I can't bear listening to her Rehab song because that is exactly where she should be headed, and instead she's making money off her refusal to go there.

I have the same reaction to 'comment removed'. What did I miss, what did I miss!!!! Also, it mystifies me because I don't know how to remove a comment.

Whitehorse Fan said...

I confess, I removed the comment. It was only because I wrote it quickly, and then, when I re-read it, I realized it wouldn't make sense to anyone except me. It then turned into my Sonny comment.

Sorry, not exciting.

And Pip, you will see a garbage can below your comment. If you click on that, it allows you to delete your comment. (But unlike me, you don't have to, because you are always coherent.)

pip said...

WHF, thanks for the info, but unfortunately, no garbage can for me. *sob* . Maybe because I am plain old black and not a glowing blue person.

Those of you who remember my incarnation as westcoast fan and the Freddie Mercury/Eddie Murphy debacle may not see me as 'always coherent'. Heh.

Anonymous said...

I just KNEW there was something fishy about Sonny. He just seemed too good to be true. I think Steve's gonna love this.

Pauline

pip said...

But will Sean tell Steve? If he tells anyone he should tell Michelle. Sean seems to constantly be finding himself trapped into keeping a secret from a friend to protect another friend. While Sonny is no longer his friend/lover, he did seem to promise to say nothing by calling him 'stranger'.

howdi said...

Thanks for the updates....and the link to Paolo Nutini....wow....never heard of him...but he is great.

p.s. I can never make out the backround music on Corrie. Maybe cause I'm not in tune with British music?

Anonymous said...

I am behind in episodes, but just wanted to comment on the idea that there is no food in the Battersby Brown house.

Firstly, I don't think folks in the UK stock up quite as much as we in North America do. Have you seen the size of their fridges? The only full-size fridges are in Charlie's house and I think Martin's old flat.

Secondly, I grew up next to people who never had a damn thing in the house. Ketchup sandwiches were usually what I saw the kids eating on front step.

This was 30 years ago. The dad worked at a well-paying job, and they were the nicest, jolliest people you'd ever meet. But they were pigs who could care less about practical stuff like food on the table or clean clothes...

cheers,
missusmac