Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Monday October 8th – The Lights Out Update



At 7:00 PM last night I turned the TV on (OK, I actually just switched from the Project Runway marathon to the CBC) to watch our Coronation Street but I really couldn’t make sense of what I was seeing. There was a bunch of really large men all dressed up in matching outfits running headlong into other large men wearing a different matching outfit. One of them was carrying an orange oblong rounded object. Then, there were these other men on the screen wearing suits talking in some sort of technical language. I don’t know what was happening but I do know this. They picked the wrong time to start the Street late. Don’t they know what is happening in Weatherfield? Becky didn’t make it to work!

The show opens
with bad-boy Charlie asleep in bed with a chair pressed up against the door handle, I guess the conversation with Tracy from the night before really did get to him. He is still cocky as ever, although. His bravado has not left him on the day of his court appearance, but Tracy is confident that he will not be coming back from court after what he did to Peter. Charlie, on the other hand, is confident that he’ll get a slap on the wrist and tells Tracy that when he gets back from court she had better be gone.

The two of them go back and forth in a verbal sparring match and at one point Charlie grabs Tracy’s face and tells her that is he was the man that she has been making him out to be, he would toss the hot cup of coffee that she was drinking into her face. Tracy calls him on. Obvioulsy, anything Charlie could do would actually help her in the end. But Charlie is too smart for this game and leaves Tracy unharmed.

Blanche never fails to dissapoint and when we get a look at the happenings over at number 1 we find her explaining to Peter why court cases are better than funerals. I guess Blanche passes time at courthouses as well as grave yards for entertainment. Deirdry is also ready to head to court and the entire Barlow clan is convinced that Charlie will end up in a cell for the rumble on the cobbles.

The Barlows get into their car and across the way Charlie is getting into Steve’s car. Charlie may want to go for a pint afterward so will not be driving his lumberyard van to the courthouse. Just before they head out, Charlie tells Steve that when he gets back, if Tracy isn’t gone, he will throw her out.

Tracy is home alone now and kind of going out of her mind. Is Charlie going to come back? Has he been locked up? If so, how long will he stay behind bars? As she sits worrying, Claire comes banging on the door to check on Tracy. She goes into the house urging Tracy to leave Charlie. What Claire doesn’t know is that she is actually urging Tracy to take another stab at her plan to kill Charlie. During their conversation Tracy is amazingly honest with Claire and even insults her a couple times. It all goes over poor Claire's head.

The case is over and Charlie has been convicted but doesn’t go to jail. He comes off with only 200 hours of community service. He gets back home to find Claire in the house and is right menacing to her. He asks her where Tracy is, makes a joke about her being locked in her room and then tells Claire that she had better go home. Claire leaves thinking that she has convinced Tracy to leave Charlie, but that isn’t exactly how things will go.

The Barlows are rightfully angry and Peter expresses that he would have happily given Stubbs a right pounding if 200 hours community service was the only punishment he would get. Blanche tells him that the pounding would have been the community service. Deirdry wants to head over to number 6 to get Tracy to come home. Ken, urges Deirdry to wait until the situation cools off.

Back at Tracy’s house Charlie turns on some music and Tracy turns on the charm. She comes down stairs literally dressed to kill in some sort of leather safari hooker outfit. Charlie looks at her and is not impressed. He goes upstairs to pack her things and begin the process of tossing her on the curb. Amy has escaped from the dishwasher and Tracy tells her to go into her room and watch the TV because she and Charlie are having an argument.

After a vexing mix of verbal judo and some very slinky behaviour Tracy appeals to Charlie’s ego enough to at least get him sexually aroused. But it isn’t that easy. She make a misstep by asking him to propose to her saying that if he were to get on his knees she would be the happiest woman on earth. Charlie wants none of it and Tracy has to really work to get him to pick up what she is putting down.

After more red light special, Tracy gets Charlie to sit on the off white leather couch promising him a lap dance and telling him that other women and strippers don’t matter because she knows that she is the woman that he will be spending the rest of his life with. If only he knew exactly what she meant.

As Oasis plays
loudly into the night, Tracy dances in front of Charile as he sits smirking on the sofa. With her back turned to him, she grips the large heavy mother and child art deco figurine from the sideboard. With a swing of her hips for increased leverage, she spins around and bashes Charlie over the head bloodying his brow and throwing his head to the side.

Charlie is knocked out.

34 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Don’t they know what is happening in Weatherfield? Becky didn’t make it to work!

oh my god...you fucking KILL me!

Mr. Glacia and I were laughing about that weird little piece of info thrown in just so the ENTIRE show wasn't Tracey/Charlie.

Why did they even bother? I suspect the writers did it for a good laugh.

Jacqueline said...

I winced when Tracey said how pathetic it is that her life has been reduced to talking to Claire and when Claire says, 'I don't mind.' Tracey responds, 'Well I do.'

Ouch.

I love how I can't even tell what Tracey's real emotions are anymore. She's such a liar that it's hard to tell what's an act and what's real.

John said...

I don't think even Tracy knows what her real emotions are. If her plan works and she avoids jail on grounds of domestic abuse, then I guess she'll consider it a victory. But she'll be a murderer. I don't think she's thought that far ahead.

And what man can resist a woman dressed as Pat Benatar?

Anonymous said...

You know what bothered me the most about last night's show? Not the murder but the fact that the little girl was upstairs. How strange does that make me.

John said...

Anon. That does not make you strange at all. I wondered the same thing.

Jacqueline said...

I jsut wish it had been Pat Benetar singing 'Love is a Battlefield.'.

Yeah, a 31 year old Pat Benetar as a runaway teen singing 'We are Young'.

pip said...

I agree, anonymous, that was pretty shocking about Amy. Tracy is one sick woman. But I suppose she couldn't arrange for Amy to go to her parents' because she's part of Tracy's defence: after all, what woman in her right mind would commit a cold blooded murder with her own daughter in the house? It must have been self-defence, and even defence of Amy!

So is the lap dancer from the club going to show up any minute now?

Does Coronation Street have a penchant for people to be murdered by blunt object? That's how Tommy bought it. And didn't Richard Hillman kill a victim or too that way. Not that I'm complaining. I'd rather not see knives or guns, thank-you-very-much.

Rob Swizzle said...

I think they ran that game late to punish all of us for our criticism of late of the CBC's pre-emptive habits. Certainly no one is actually watching a CFL post-game show?!?

Whitehorse Fan said...

The fact that Amy was at home bothered me the most as well.

I was also wondering if the lap dancer is going to arrive and somehow catch Tracey doing something that makes her self-defence claims more tenuous.

That, and how is she going to explain that she was dressed as a hooker if she was planning on leaving him, as Claire would attest to?

Debbie said...

Love is a Battlefield would have been a AWESOME soundtrack choice.

Yes, Richard Hillman knocked his ex-wife over the head with a shovel.

pip said...

I suppose Tracy is going to say that Charlie demanded that she tart herself up, and was going to rape her so she had no choice but to very symbolically bop him on the noggin with the 'mother and child' figurine that was conveniently so close at hand.

Debbie said...

Maxine Peacock was also bashed over the head. It seems most deaths are heart attacks, hit by lorry/car/train or a bash over the head.

Whitehorse Fan said...

In terms of Claire. I did feel bad for her, despite the fact that she has the personality of a dish towel. And I think she felt the stings somewhat (I think I saw her blink in surprise a couple of times), but she swallowed them because Tracey was so emotional/in need of help.

I also thought it was clever the way the used sweet guileless Claire to talk Tracey back into killing Charlie.

pip said...

WHF I agree regarding Claire. I know she is disliked as a character because she is so boring, but I'd much rather have her as a friend than just about anyone else on the street (with the possible exceptions of Eileen, who would also step up to the plate if you were in need, or Sean, with his ready shoulder to cry on). Not many people would be willing to stand up to Charlie to protect Tracy, especially an ungrateful, undeserving Tracy. My gawd, she even called Claire a 'cow' at one point. In England is that much less nasty than it sounds? Whenever I hear someone say that I feel like they've said the equivalent of 'ignorant slut', though I suppose it's not really that bad.

Sometimes the writing on the show is top notch. Claire's unwitting encouragement of Tracy is one of those times. I wonder if she'll ever realize what she did.

Debbie said...

Pip, are you sugesting that our bovine friends are both dumb AND promiscuous?

I like Claire as a character. She is really good and well developed.

John said...

I kind of like Claire as well and do think she is an interesting character. Although, when you get down to it, there are no boring characters, just boringly written ones.

Claire's flaw is that she is too trusting and naive. She was, prior to her post-natal depression, excellent with children but a little innocent with adults. She fails to see that people like Tracy (and Charlie, for that matter) only talk to you if they want something. Hell, it's been pointed out more than once that Tracy has no friends and I doubt Charlie's unseen "mates" are nothing more than occasional drinking buddies. These are not empathetic people. You can be cordial with them but never get sucked into their lives.

Claire fails to see that and Tracy knows it, so she sucks her into her little premeditated murder scheme.

pip said...

I agree to some extent, John, but I think Claire's a little more discerning than you give her credit for. She was quite taken aback and stand-offish when Tracy first started talking to her over the laundry outside. But it was when Claire began to see Tracy as a potentially abused woman that she became really involved and supportive. Partly because it gave her an ego boost, I think, but more because she is that type of person - she wants to help when she sees someone in need (as long as they're not like Bev and move in on you.)

pip said...

Whoops, I forgot to add, that given the track record Charlie had with Shelley it wasn't terrifically naive of Claire to believe Tracy's story - no one else really seems to doubt it either. Also a lot of people believe that it's better to lend a hand to someone who doesn't really need it, than to risk refusing to help someone who truly needs help. That's why I give money to beggars. Some of them need it.

Anonymous said...

LOL - I turned on CBC at 6:55 and was like, "OK... any time now. Any time now. OMG, stop talking about the stupid game!!!! Don't you know Tracy is KILLING Charlie?!?!?"

I could NOT believe that CBC was doing that. All I could think was (as I rocked back and forth) "There's still the omnibus. There's still the omnibus..."

But it was OK. It was all Ok. I probably owe an apology to Canadian Football as an institution. I may have put some kind of curse on the CFL... and being from Detroit, I know from football curses...

Loved the Safari Hooker comment, and PAT BENATAR!!!! I loved Pat Benatar!!!

I was thinking about "Hit Me with Your Best Shot"... Before I put another notch in my lipstick case, you better make sure you've put me in my place...

Michigander Fan

Anonymous said...

OH! And then our interwebs were down ALL DAY at work today - the one time I would have really cheated and posted when I should have been working. GACK!

See, Claire bothers me in a way that Emily doesn't. It has to do with the way her husband acts and she puts up with. (shudders.)

Totally agree about Eileen and Sean though. Complete best friend material!

MF

Anonymous said...

Can we get some British input on the whole "cow" thing, because I agree with Pip (was it Pip) - when I hear it, it freaks me out a little bit. It sounds really mean...

Is it gentler in equivalency than "ignorant slut"?

Jane, you ignorant slut!

MF

Whitehorse Fan said...

I agree with Pip. Claire might also have a bit of the rescuer streak in her, so she would like someone simply because they need help.

I had that in me. But luckily, I have quashed it.

pip said...

MF, I agree that Claire needs to show a bit more backbone with Ashley because he can be a right jerk at times, but she is pretty effective at getting him to do things when it comes right down to it (for example, Matt Ramsden and his access to our Joshua).

I don't like Emily because I see her as a hypocrite. She wouldn't forgive Eileen's boyfriend for murdering her husband, when he was truly and honestly repentant. Hardly the Christian lady she professes to be.

pip said...

WHF, you mean you leave stray kittens by the roadside to freeze in the winter!!!

MF 'Jane, you ignorant slut'! I loved that line! Such a shocker to hear that in the 70's, and I bet it comes across even worse in this day and age.

Whitehorse Fan said...

Pip:

Absolutely! There are too many kittens in this world. What's a few less? ;)

Anonymous said...

I think we should all just be grateful that CBC didn't join the episode in progress - that's what I was afraid of as the clock kept ticking after 7 pm...

Jacqueline said...

Okay...I'm going to defend Emily on the Ed (Eileen's boyfriend) issue.

She actually did give her him her forgiveness in the end. She really had a hard time do so as she was still hurt over what he did - and honestly, if someone killed my husband I'd still be pissed 30 years later.

However, she actually did do what her religion required her to do and gave him her forgiveness.

I assumed she did this for moral reasons so that he could begin to heal and that she could. She did ask him to make something of his life in return for her forgiveness.

Now, Emily doesn't get off so easy in my books with an issue down the road. She got Haley to volunteer with the church and then did nothing to stop the churchies from sequestering Haley to a ministry that was 'away from children, upstanding citizens, and non-transgendered people'. That was wrong of her, especially since she knew how hurt Haley was.

Anonymous said...

MF,

Regarding the "cow" comment that you asked about. It all depends on how it's used in a sentence. "You stupid cow" is equivalent to calling somebody a "a stupid bitch", but the way Tracey used it when talking to Claire was not to insult her, and having been born and raised in England myself, would not be offensive in the way that she used the word "cow".

It was said by Tracey to be similar to her using the word "cow" in place of "woman".

"You stupid cow" would be the same as "You stupid woman."

"Oh, you poor cow" would be the same as "Oh, you poor woman"...depends on how it's used in a sentence. I hope I've explained it a bit better.

Pauline

pip said...

Maybe I missed something in the Ed storyline but if Emily truly forgave him then why did he have to leave Coronation Street and Eileen? Wasn't it because Emily couldn't stand to have him around? If that's the case then she didn't truly forgive him. He had reformed and healed himself and done all he could - or needed to do - to deserve to be forgiven. But Emily had not healed herself and was incapable of forgiveness. That was very unchristian.

Anonymous said...

Ed did leave because he couldn't handle the situation as well.

Once Emily found out that he was alone and considering suicide, she bravely (I thought) went to him and counseled him not to. She gave him something that belonged to Ernest.

I think she could forgive him. She just did not want the daily and constant reminder.

As for Emily's Christian duty, well, she's Christian, not made out of steel. She is probably the most Godly person on the street, but she's still human. Forgiving your husband's killer is a lot to ask of anyone.

~missusmac

Jacqueline said...

Missusmac just said what I was going to say.

But when it comes to the weighty subject of morals/ethics - we all have our own p.o.v.

Anonymous said...

All I have to say about the Emily and Ed situation is:

1. First of all, when someone befriends you and then says, "Oh yeah, BTW, I killed your husband and I wormed my way into your life so you would forgive me," that's almost a double betrayal, because of the whole bait and switch thing.
2. There's a reason why it's newsworthy when someone forgives their loved one's killer - it's freaking hard to do, and most of us would have a really hard time doing it. I consider myself a Christian, but I know it would take all the strength I possess to do that.

Just my 2 cents.

MF

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on the "Cow" thing, Pauline!

It makes a little more sense now.

MF

pip said...

I agree that Ed was less than forthright in the way he became a part of Emily's community, I think because he wanted her to get to know him as a person rather than the killer he once was. Is there any good way of introducing yourself as the killer of a loved one?

My interpretation of Emily's request of Ed was completely different. He was suicidal because she could not forgive him and so he was essentially unable to go on with his life - he didn't have closure. So she forbade him to kill himself and made him promise to send her a card once per year to prove that he was still alive. All as part of his penitence. That struck me as wrong. She had no right to dictate to him in that manner, but she didn't want to be left with the 'responsibility' for his death. To my mind, if he killed himself, the choice was his and Emily couldn't be blamed. Ed was choosing to make forgiveness by Emily a condition of his redemption. He could have taken one more step back and realized that God's forgiveness was the only forgiveness he truly needed, according to his beliefs. (BTW, I'm not a Christian, so I might have a slightly different take on these things. I see forgiveness as a way of healing yourself, primarily, by letting go of the hate and the hurt.)