Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Monday September 24th – Three Idiots and a Deceitful Cow


HERE IS A LIST of the CBC commercials that aired during the Coronation Street broadcast. One entire commercial break was dedicated to CBC commercials. Please note, I only started counting part way through the first break. Also, I was watching the Northern Broadcast where there were two public service announcements about workplace safety. So things could have been different in the south. The line-up was as follows:

1 2008 Olympic Games
2 Little Mosque on the Prairie
1 Fifth Estate
1 Commercial montage for No Opportunity Wasted, Little Mosque, Heartland
1 Market Place
1 Rick Mercer report + This Hour Has 22 Minutes
1 CBC.CA commercial
1 Dragons Den

THE SHOW OPENS WITH the Battersby-Brown camp. Fiz, Yanna (who deserves an award for that skirt) and Cilla head toward the salon where Cilla has plans to get herself together for the big trip to Florida. It is the least she could do considering the whole street has put their hands in their pockets to send her off under false pretences. Later Cilla and Yanna go into the pub where we learn that Yanna has paid for the works at the salon and will now be getting the drinks in.

Les got a camera from Ken Barlow and has enlisted Kirk to film the big departure for posterity. The Street’s answer to Steven Spielberg continues to film and Cilla lets everyone in on a little secret. She knows Lez and Yanna have been at it on the couch and she's not happy. Then she drops the real bomb. Devastating and confusing young Chezney, Cilla tells everyone that she is not sick and has known she was well since before Christmas. The news is met with confusion and anger. Chezny is so angry he has decided to take a pass on the trip to Disney World/Land (whichever one is in Florida). After Chezney tells his mother that he hates her and he wishes she were dead, Cilla looks like she knows that she has gone too far. But, in the cab she hops and off she goes to see Mickey an the gang in a large, over sanitized freakish place that is probably the scariest place on earth.

As the drama unfolds outside of number 5 Rita and Norris stroll by and learn that Cilla has been cured. The word is sure to spread.

OVER AT NUMBER 8 the baby, now called Holly, is still the source of conflict in the Grimshaw/Wilson/Tully household. Jason, in a staggering feat of ignorance tries to smooth over things with Sarah by admitting the baby is his but assuring her that he will have nowt to do with her. Smart. Sarah, in an increasingly common display of maturity tells Jason that he is being an immature, irresponsible loser and closes the door on his face. Good job, Sarah Louise Platt. Will her reaction get Jason to change his ways?

Probably not, later we see Jason relaxing on the couch doing his best NOT to be a dad. Eileen resorts to some mild physical violence to get Jason to take the baby for a walk in a pram thoughtfully donated by Sarah. Strangely during the pram hand-over the grim reaper walked by and scared the pants off me. Seriously, who was that dude?

STUPIDITY WAS ON DISPLAY at the Rovers when Steve, instead of acting like an adult and talking to Michelle like a growed up, decided to see if he can manipulate the schedule and remove Betty from behind the bar on New Years so that Michelle will have to work and not go out with the handsome Sunny. His mother falls for Steve's stupid reasoning (so offensive I refuse to repeat it here, on the blog) and tells Michelle that she has to work. Michelle is none too pleased, but Steve says that he will try to have a word with his mom. PLEASE, STEVE. GROW UP!

IS THE PASSION AT
number 7 fizzling out? It may be. Jamie and Frankie have really made the decision to leave the street. In Street tradition, that means that they have to go to the Kabin to cancel the papers. How else would Norris get to slip in a nasty word? Jamie then runs into Violet. I guess he didn't tell his baby-mother he was leaving. That's thoughtful. Violet is pissed, yet keeps telling him that he needn't do anything for the baby.

She reiterates that sentiment later in the pub when Jamie tries to give her a cheque and his address in Spain. I guess the pressure is getting to Jamie. When Vern suggests that Jamie get Frankie a cocktail and then suggests sex on the beach, Jamie decks him. Now, I am not sure in Vern was being malicious. I think he was seriously suggesting that Jamie get Frankie a cocktail. What do the Canuksters think? Do the Canuksters think any excuse to deck Vern is a good excuse?

After, Frankie jumps up, scolds Jamie and accuses him of turning into Danny. Jamie is pissed and storms off. Later, Frankie tells Liz and her breasts that she is now unsure of Jamie. She thinks her feeling for Jamie may have a lot to do with Danny. Oh Frankie, that was obvious as Liz’ cleavage.

That is all fans.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie: I really don't think Vernon meant to be malicious, it's just not in his nature. I will be glad to see the end of the Frankie/Jamie affair. Jamie certainly showed us how immature he really is. Frankie is so large with child now there is no way to hide it.

John said...

I think Vernon was being his usual feckless self but now that Jamie's punched him, he has a little more justification to be nasty to Jamie. Still, I liked seeing Vernon get punched.

Cilla broke Chesney's heart. Again. He's going to grow up suspicious of everyone, isn't he?

I do find it odd that people on the street subscribe to their magazines and newspapers at the Kabin. I figure they do home delivery of the paper and hold the magazines for customers when they come in. Still, I bet they pay newstand prices when they could save a bundle by subscribing to their magazines directly and having them delivered by mail.

Also, this would spare Jamie hearing Norris' snide comments about his subscription to Motherboy magazine.

westcoast fan said...

Great update, Debbie!

Yeah, I saw the grim reaper dude, too. Where do they get these people? Do you think they're the friends and rellies of anyone who happens to work on the set?

Frankie is just too much. NOW she's having second thoughts about whether Jamie is the one because he's starting to act like Danny? Hasn't he been acting like Danny all along? Selfish, impulsive, hot tempered, completely interested in sex. I could go on.

Actually, I think Vern did intend to be malicious. He refers to Frankie as Jamie's 'mom' and when corrected doesn't apologize for the faux pas, and then he offers a cocktail called 'sex on a beach'? He'd have to be a complete idiot to say things like that in absolute innocen... Oh, wait. Never mind.

There must be a reason Kirk was taping Cilla's complete confession. Do you think it's going to be shown to all and sundry in the Rovers? Do you think Cilla will be charged with criminal fraud? That would be great.

Debbie said...

That episode of Arrested Development was on last week!

I love that show.

Jacqueline said...

So Frankie and Jamie are leaving tommorow for Spain....for good.

Does no on the street ever, you know...PACK?

Seriously, Keef was the only one I ever saw pack his worldy possesions before leaving the street. Everyone else just grabs a dufflebag and some magazines and off they go?

I guess everyone is so wealthy that they can either leave all their stuff and start anew or have a team of movers come in later to pack and send the items.

I want that life.

I thought Lurch was kind of sexy. But then I have bizarre taste in men. (Mr.Glacia being the exception, of course.)

Disneyworld is the one in Florida.

Debbie said...

Jacqueline thought Lurch was sexy ...

Honey, it's time to back away from the grey goose.

Jacqueline said...

You know....I just say shit to get attention.

Rob Swizzle said...

I love the odd technical turns on the Street lately. First the Queen montage, now the scenes shot through the Handycam.

Oh, Lakota man is back during the commercial breaks, so the CBC ad sales department must have returned to work.

Debbie said...

Thank god for the wisdom of the Natives or I may be forced to live with some mild muscle soreness!

John said...

Jacqueline, not only do they pack all their worldly belongings in a duffle bag, they do so in the living room. But it's true: you never see a moving truck blocking the street when someone moves out.

Whitehorse Fan said...

I thought I saw a vague untidiness behind Jamie when Sean came to visit, cupboard doors open or something. I think that that was their suggestion that Jamie and Frankie were packing.

I know Vern didn't really deserve to be punched, only because noone does, but when it happened all I wished was that Jamie had punched him harder.

Anonymous said...

Teehee!

First of all, (and this is important) I thought Lurch was sexy too. But then, I always fall for bad men. Which is why I'm still single.

Second of all, if Chesney doesn't turn into a serial killer, it will be a miracle. I love him, so I hope he doesn't, but still, the odds are against him.

Re: Vern. We-ell, I don't know if I would call it malicious... maybe puckish. He was goofing a little. That said, Jamie totally overeacted. Vern's a slacker, a loafer, completely irresponsible, but basically harmless.

I thought there was the slightest parallel between Jamie/Frankie and Jason/Sarah there for a minute - her having had child-rearing experience that he doesn't have, and being appalled at his ignorance.

Michigander Fan

Anonymous said...

Oh, and commercials...

Well, apparently it's Customer Appreciation week at Leons. (LOTS of ADS)

Also, Racicot Chrysler had a couple of ads.

Lots of CBC-related stuff. (Rick Mercer, 22, LMotP, 10:00 News, etc, Dragon's Den, No Opportunity Wasted...)

Don't remember seeing a Lakota ad.

Alex the Window Dude.

Williams Food Equipment

A-1 Fine Furniture

But the bulk of it is CBC stuff. Plus I have a real problem, since Rick Mercer is going to run opposite Bones this year. That's a tough one...

Michigander Fan

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Glacia, were you drinking with Kiefer Sutherland last night?

MF

AMAI said...

Wait, wait. Remember when Charlie threw Craig & his grandpa out of their house? There was some kind of a moving van vehicle for them.

Wouldn't it be funny if Cilla was somehow killed during her trip to Florida? Then their last footage of her would be her telling everyone about how she wasn't really dying, and getting her revenge on Les & Yana. Les will sit and watch that tape crying for Cilla, despite the content of her angry revelations.

AMAI said...

Oh, and I remain unconvinced that Jason is truly the father of baby Holly. I want a DNA test and/or Emma to return and visually identify Jason. Jason's comments and vows to Sarah to have NOWT to do with the kid even though he says it's his, sounded more like him trying to say what he thought she wanted to hear. (Which makes him a bigger idiot but still.)

westcoast fan said...

I don't see Chesney turning into a serial killer. He's a sweet boy and a survivor. He's not nasty and he doesn't enjoy seeing others suffer. At worst he'll become a fraud artist. David, on the other hand. . . I keep hoping to hear My Chemical Romance's song 'Teenagers' playing in the background when he's on screen. That would be very a propros (?sp).

Whitehorse Fan said...

With some very intensive therapy Chez could be just fine, I think as well. And, he does have a very good mother-like person in Fizz, and Lez, despite some obvious and huge flaws, is also in the end a good person for him. So I have faith he will turn out all rightish in the end.

Rob Swizzle said...

Vern was cold-cocked and it barely phased him. It was as if he's been getting socked in the puss all his life.

Anonymous said...

Here's my question of the day: where will they keep baby Holly?

Eileen doesn't have a dishwasher, and everyone in that house works. They don't even have a Blanche-with-a-bad-hip to tay home and watch her...

The Frankie/Jamie plot waddles to its ungraceful finale - FINALLY!

And I vote that any excuse to hit Vern as hard as humanly possible is a good excuse. He's just plain creepy!
missusmac

Anonymous said...

Missus,

Cupboard under the stairs?

MF

westcoast fan said...

Harry Potter will vouch for the cupboard under the stairs as being exceptionally spidery! Or the sock drawer might work, always popular when they're small. Didn't Claire try to take the baby-previously-known-as-Thomas in to work once or twice. Jolly Holly could go along with Elaine. Or Elaine could pop her into Jason's lunch box as a surprize.

Pantagruelle said...

Before Jamie punched Vern, Vern clearly asked him if he was going to get a drink for his "mum". Then he made the sex on the beach comment, so Vern was definitely trying to stir things up.

I think Jason needs to get a DNA test too. It's been a long time, and hard to remember, but wasn't Charlie going out on the town cruising and picking up girls about a year or so ago, and didn't he say to one of the girls that his name was Jason Grimshaw??? It's hard to remember that far back, but I do seem to think that when Charlie was still with Shelley he picked up a girl at a bar and lied about his name.

Anonymous said...

Hello
My name is Eden and I am a leukaemia patient here in the States in Arizona. Until yesterday, I was receiving Corrie via satellite from StarChoice and they have pulled the plug on me. I am devstated! I just don't want to believe that Fridays Christmas eppy is the last time I will see the beloved cobbles of the street.
If anyone would be kind enough to record the show onto dvd, beginning with this weekends omnibus (September 30) I would be more than grateful and gladly pay for the priviledge of seeing CORONATION STREET. These days, it seems as though these wonderful characters are the only friends I have that I can count on.
Please feel free to email me at Edensgarden85224@cs.com. This is so very important to me.
Thanks to everyone in advance for reading this note, and have a very blessed day.
Cheers
Eden Maddox
Chandler, Arizona
USA

Gregg Anderson said...

Vernon is an idiot and knew exactly what he was saying... he deserved it.

Debbie said...

See, I think Vernon is such an idiot that he may not really know what he was saying. In fact, I think that he may have missed the whole Jamie/Frankie story. Like, perhaps he just doesn't know. the dude lives in his own world. He is always drumming in his head, hiding in the cellar or in the back yard or sleeping in the parlor.

Also, Jamie is clearly on edge. Look at the man, would anyone with any sense have a go at him? He looks like he could go bezerker at any time!

westcoast fan said...

I dunno, Debbie, if the news of the Jamie/Frankie affair was new then I'd say you were right, but it's been common knowledge on the street for at least a couple of weeks. I can't believe that during that time Liz, at least, never mentioned it to Vern. If he did what he did purposefully then I think it is completely in character for him. He likes to see misery in others.

Whitehorse Fan said...

Pantagruelle, amai has the same theory and I am leaning that way too. Maybe that is why she cries so much, she takes after her dad and knows she can control people by crying.

John said...

Pantagruelle - you may be on to something there as Charlie frequently went out on the prowl while Shelley was locked in the bedroom so I can see that possibility.

What I can't see is how Jason's memory can't reconcile with his actual behaviour at the time of Holly's conception. He was desperate to get Violet back and at the same time was fending off Sarah-Lou, before finally giving in and having a brief affair with both women.

But maybe he did actually pick some dolly bird when we weren't watching. Who knows?

westcoast fan said...

Oh no, that would just be too horrible if Eileen falls in love with the baby and it turns out to be the Devil's Spawn!!!

Hasn't she suffered enough??

Why can't the writer's leave Eileen alone.

She's a human being!

Leave Eileen aloooone!

*westcoast fan goes into Britney fanboy type rant*

Jacqueline said...

Why can't the writer's leave Eileen alone.

She's a human being!

Leave Eileen aloooone!


I spit out my mid afternoon vodka reading that.

Great reference MF

Anonymous said...

Glacia,

Thanks, but that twernt me - twas Westcoast Fan.

Always glad to be thought of as funny enough to make you spit out a perfectly good drink!

I am on the record though, as agreeing - EILEEN NEEDS A GOOD STORYLINE, STAT!!!

MF

Jacqueline said...

Oh sorry! Great call Westcoast!

I'm getting my WF WHF and MF all confused.

westcoast fan/pip said...

Maybe I should go back to my usual 'Nom de Plume' which is 'Pip'?

Whitehorse Fan said...

I could also change my name, seeing as I am the latest interloper.

Anonymous said...

Well, I could always change my name to "Can't Find Her Way Out of a Paper Bag in Second Life"...

It's a little long, though!

MF