Friday, August 03, 2007

Update - Aug 2, 2007

Two words. Greyhound Rescue.

One even better word - Sabrina.
sabrina3

sabrina1

sabrina2

sabrina4

sabrina5

sabrina6



Loved by Knit Fiend.

sabrina7

On with the show.

Why the HELL is that Urn Still on the Bar?
Liz becomes full owner of the Rovers and to celebrate she says the drinks are on the house!

Bev still lurks and started off fairly normal but once Liz signed the doc, she hits the bottle and carried Fred around during her pity party. Liz (and her new hooker-do) talks to Ashley about getting Bev to move out. Neither really knows how to brooch the subject with her.

Well, for starters, I'd tell her she can't be leaving Fred's remains propped up in a place of business.

Also, honestly, at this point, if I were Ashely, I'd try to get the rest of Fred back through legal means. It may sound harsh, but it's getting pretty disrespectful to Fred the way she carries that urn around and uses it as a device to get everyone to feel sorry for her.

Take This Job and Shove It
Norris continues to harrange Ken about him not taking the Kabin position seriously, especially when it comes to keeping the puffy prawn crisps stocked before the 11 am rush.

Ken rolls his eyes and takes it in stride until Norris hassles Chesney about the proper way to put the news papers in the newspaper bag. He tells Norris that he was helping as a favour to Rita, but that Norris is too much to deal with so he quits.

Norris tells Emily later at the pub that Ken just can't handle the high pressure job of ....selling magazines and gum to the 40 odd people of Coronation Street.

The World's Oldest Swingers
Audrey and Bill are out on the town again and Gayle finds Audrey in the cafe securing that staple of hangovers a bacon/egg/cheese/fried mars bar/french fry all covered-in-a-layer-of-rich-creamery-butter sandwich.

Audrey is having fun and it doesn't take much for Bill to talk her into a few extra drinks. They end up going to the greyhound races (Glacia rolls her eyes) where Audrey says she feels like she's in "My Fair Lady' and JUST like Hepburn she orders 5 pints, 3 bags of chips and a double bacon cheeseburger.

At the end of the evening, they go back to the Rovers where Bill talks her into coming back to his place for a night cap. They stumble down the alley way and enter the Webster's backyard where Audrey makes an ass grab for Bill as he looks for the key.

Sophie hears the noise and threatens to tell Sally about Bill's fancy woman until Bill offers her a fiver.

With Sophie gone, Bill and Audrey go in for one of the steamiest kisses we've seen since Keith left. I have to say, they really do give her some sizzling kisses.

And I also have to say, good for Audrey. I can only hope that my senior years are spent galavanting around town sucking back pints and indulging in a bit of ass grab with the neighbour's dad. (I'll pass on the dog racing though.)

Single White Becky
Becky shows up late at the cafe looking for Haley who is out on the town shopping. When she returns, Becky asks her for a reference for the job interview she has the next day.

Haley agrees, but you can tell she ain't too pleased with Becky showing up like this.

Oh Yeah, And This Storyline
Danny is in a great mood over him and Frankie getting back together and over Jamie forgiving him. He tells Frankie that he's decided to take them all out for a posh Sunday brunch. She does the 'Yeah, sure.' bit and then gives Jamie the heads up that Danny's going to ask him to join them.

Through gritted teeth Jamie agrees to come along when Danny asks him in the Rovers. His mood turns sulky after Danny leaves and he decides to go home and watch the same Samurai movie that Frankie is watching back at the flat. Danny tells Frankie how happy he is that they're together and she nods, but she is clearly thinking of Jamie.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Is Fizz Pregnant?
The factory girls go out for bevvies and are even treated to the 50 quid that Danny leaves behind the bar for them to enjoy drinks.

Fizz, however, only drinks lemonade. 'Why?' wonders Glacia. Then when Liz buys a round for everyone and she gives in and has some booze.

'Oh,' says Glacia, 'This is like the time I went on the wagon....for about 45 minutes.'

One More Dog Comment
Where the HELL is Schmicheal, Monica and Mr.Bickles?

18 comments:

Debbie said...

I think, if I remember correctly that Fiz made a pledge to not drink for a period of time. I forget why, but she did.

Westcoast fan said...

And where the hell are Tracy and Charlie, and where the hell is Steve? Isn't he co-owner (or sole owner) of the pub. Why is Liz the only one signing the transfer documents?

Cute Greyhound pics!! I've heard greyhounds and whippets make really good pets.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you regarding Bev and the urn...it's beyond creepy. It would certainly put me off my pint. It's time for Bev to go harsh as that may sound. I also agreed with you regarding Ashley and Fred's ashes he is the legal heir.
P.S. Gorgeous dog photos. My son used to have a paper route and he really became attached to a little whippet on his route.

Anonymous said...

Is one of the missing dogs mentioned the dog that Blanche inherited from her dead funeral buddy? I can't remember its name, but Ken hated the wee beastie.

Yeah, I was wondering why Liz is signing the papers when Steve will be the owner.

Storylines that can officially go away:

1. Bev & The Ashes Formerly Known as Fred
2. Jamie & Frankie's Incest Is the Best Routine.

Michigander Fan

Anonymous said...

BTW, whose dog is that - she's adorable! I especially like the shot of her sleeping, while her tongue lolls in her mouth.

I take stalky Basic Instinct-type pics of my cats while they are sleeping too. They're just so DARN CUTE!!!!

Michigander Fan

Jacqueline said...

That's KnitFiend's dog (the lady in the pic), Sabrina who is a rescue Greyhound.

I was going to do a rant about Greyhound racing (dog lover that I am) ...but thought Sabrina's pics do the trick.

Greyhounds live 12 - 15 years, but their racing years last between 8 months and 5 years and slow dogs are retired. This means that thousands of perfectly healthy dogs are put down each year.

Greyhound Rescue organizations try to save as many dogs as possible and find good homes for dogs. Greyhounds are lovely dogs and are actually quite subdued in the home...known as the 100 mph couch potato.

Ooops...I think I just ranted.

Anyway, racing bad, rescue good.

I think Mr. Bickles was the name of the dog Blanche inherited, but I could be wrong.

Jacqueline said...

Aaaand I just realized that I posted these pics before I got the okay from Knitfiend to do so.

So Knitfiend if you're reading this, I hope you'll forgive my sleepyheadedness.

Westcoast fan said...

Michigander Fan, what a great new name for the urn - the AFKAF (ashes formerly known as Fred)!

I have a really bad feeling about how the incest scenario is going to resolve, given that Frankie will inevitably be leaving the show, and she seems to be going off Danny and smoldering for Jamie (ew, ew, ew).

Is it my imagination or is Norris even more insufferable than ususal?

Why on earth is Hayley writing a reference for Becky? what is she going to say without lying? Something along the lines of: 'Becky is eager to be accepted by her employer and co-workers but must be closely supervised around valuables and should not be believed in the absence of independent corroboration.' Or is Hayley going to be silly and give a glowing referral(remember when she helped out Craig's mom after Tommy's murder - was it mailing the fake letter from the Mafia, or something?) Nice woman Hayley, but not a lot of common sense at times.

Jacqueline said...

I felt for Haley. I've been asked on several occassions to write references for people who only briefly worked for me either at work or volunteer organizations.

They ask me because I think they actually believe that I won't write down that they were regularily tardy or just out and out awol and quite frankly when they were there they didn't do a lick of work.

I tell them to give me the name/address of the person they want me to send the reference to - and that usually gets them to withdraw the request.

Debbie said...

Blanche's dog is actually called "Eckels." Like as in Eckels cake.

I have no idea how to spell that.

Did we ever actually see Monica?

Jacqueline said...

Eckles..that's right.

We've definately seen Monica. Remember Mad Maya dropped her off at the side of a road somewhere.

Just like that drug dealers dog was released by David and Eckles was released by Ken.

I'm wondering what the hell the writers have against dogs.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, dogs don't fare well on The Street. Actually, they don't fare well off The Street either - I winced during the entire racing part. Of course, my consciousness was raised by The Simpsons, when Santa's Little Helper was adopted.

Plus with the recent Michael Vick arrest, there are people actually DEFENDING him, saying that dog fighting is an ancient and noble sport, and after all, they are just dogs. ARGH!!!

OK. See, Glacia, we rant togther!

Michigander Fan

John said...

Mad Maya did drop off Monica but she found her way back. I think she spends her days at the kennels with Schmichael (sp?).

In the visual update, there was definitely a bit about Fizz making a pledge not to drink for a month. We didn't see that and a few other scenes. Why? Because the CBC cut them . I really wish they'd cut that out, no pun intended.

papasmurf said...

(Peter) Schmeichel

Curious how The Simpsons have become a moral barometer in this day and age.

Anonymous said...

Papa,

I find myself quoting The Simpsons all the time. I fully recognize they lack some of the moral authority of, say, Andy Griffith, but...you takes what you can gets.

Eccles - that's right! I think her name was originally Lady Freckles or something...

Westcoast - You can't see me, but I'm curtseying at the compliment! I'm a notorious nicknamer...

Yeah, I felt for Haley at that point too. That's pretty bad. I'm working on being more assertive (crazy neighbors. don't ask.) and I'm wondering if I would have had the guts to say to Becky - "Sure. I assume this is for an apprentice burgler position?" when she asked me.

I mean, Bec has definite talents: she stole, she lied as well as Nixon, she came in between Kelly and Lloyd (where is Lloyd, BTW?), she almost destroyed the friendships of the workers at Underworld. All in a few short weeks.

THAT TAKES REAL SKILL. In INSANITY.

M.F.

Anonymous said...

The CBC edits are restored on Sundays during the omnibus from 7:30 to 10 -- there are always a few little snips I KNOW weren't there through the week.

cheers!

S. Poole

Anonymous said...

Lloyd's in rehab. This would have aired around the time he was taking his crack cocaine cab ride home, the one that made all the papers.

Lizandherbreasts were quite visible this week, weren't they?

Two words: more amber!

~missusmac

Anonymous said...

Yeah to Greyhound rescue!I hate to see animals raced around a track and put down when we humans don't need them anymore...The greyhound in the photo is sooo cute...

Didn't Bill sleep on the couch except when he snuck off with Audrey after that kiss? The probably went to Audrey's house to ahem...knock boots. Audrey seems to be leaving cuation to the wind after Fred's death. Still... Bill is married and she will be painted the scarlet woman AGAIN!


From the Encylopedia Britannica:
FUDGE


creamy candy made with butter, sugar, milk, and usually chocolate,(THERE YOU GO...BLANCHE'S IS NOT CHOCOLATE) cooked together and beaten to a soft, smooth texture. Fudge may be thought of as having a consistency harder than that of fondant (q.v.) and softer than that of hard chocolate. According to most recipes, the ingredients of fudge are cooked to what is termed in kitchen parlance the soft ball stage.

I will ask my English friend for the correct info and get back to you..She is a great cook!

CorrieLoverUSA