Sunday, April 22, 2007

Another Obscure Football Reference on The Street


When Royston and Hayley come by to see the new baby, part of their conversation involves the name of the baby, which is yet (if ever) to be determined. Roy suggests Charlton might be a fine choice. Ashley asks if he means Athletic, and Roy responds no, he meant Heston the actor. In case anyone missed the reference, Ashley is referring to a south London fooball club known as Charlton Athletic. They have been in the FA since 1905, in the Premier League since 1998, but are in danger of being relegated to a lower division at the end of the season as they are third from the bottom of the table at present. They play their games at a lovely little ground known as The Valley, which is quite near the Millenium Dome. The fans are known as the Addicks, a derivative of haddock, which apparently has something to do with the club's proximity to the Thames River and that many of their supporters were fisherman in the early days of the club.

Not that I am a fan of English football or anything.

4 comments:

MJ said...

Sing to the tune of to the tune of Paul McCartney's 'Mull of Kintyre'...

Valley, Floyd Road,
The mist rolling in from the Thames,
My desire is always to be found at
Valley, Floyd Road.

Many miles have I travelled,
Many games have I seen,
Following Charlton my favourite team.
Many hours have I spent in the covered end choir,
Singing Valley, Floyd Road,
My only desire.

*not that I am a fan of English football or anything*

Amy & said...

I thought it was funny that they referenced the name Knut. Do you suppose the zookeepers watch corrie? This episode aired before the cub was born.

Anonymous said...

Good info, Papa...the soccer references go right over my head. Pele and Beckham are as much as I know. I remember watching Fantasy Island and marveling that the little midget was a world-famous soccer star...with those tiny little legs and everything. Just goes to show that if you really put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything!

On to the point of my note: I must be the world's biggest bimbo, but I just figured out the Ashley's last name isn't the same as Fred's. What have I been smoking?

This all came up when the possibility of naming the spawn "Elliott Peacock" came up, and I put 2 and 2 together. So, if Ashley's last name is Peacock, I guess that makes Clurr the Peahen...and she is running around clucking and nesting a lot these days.

Michigander Fan

JJ said...

Should there be a Salary Cap in Football?
Personally I think there should be! It’s just getting to be stupid money in football at the top of the premiership!
It’s always the same teams at the top proving that football success is based purely on money which ruins the idea of it being a sport! They’ve done it in rugby, basketball, hockey and American football and it makes the sports more competitive and better to watch!
I do a little Spread Betting from time to time and most matches don’t hold much surprise who is going to win, its boring! I want to see a team at the bottom pulling off an amazing season beating last seasons winners in a close fought battle!
Make things fair! It shouldn’t be about money!
Plus!
All there is all that money in the premiership and barely any of it stays in the UK so it’s not even helping the economy!
From my Spread Betting, if I ever win big (which is never, I’m unlucky) it’s still nothing compared to the average premiership players weekly wage!
This Rant was brought to you by Spread Betting Spike.