Saturday, December 30, 2006

Why is this woman smiling?

There are 270,000 reasons. Anne Kirkbride, who plays Deirdre Hunt Langton Barlow Rachid Barlow has been given a pay rise this week to the tune of £270,000, overtaking her co-stars Bill Roache and Barbara Knox who play Ken Barlow and Rita Sullivan, respectively. It also makes her the highest paid member of the cast. The salary is for a 14 month period.

Just a note that while that the story I linked to does not contain any spoilers, other than that Deirdre isn't going anywhere, there are related links on the side which will contain spoilers, so be careful if you don't want to know any upcoming plots.

What do you think? Are the actors overpaid or is it fair pay, given the ad revenue the show brings in?

4 comments:

Working From Home Today said...

I dunno what American soap stars make, but this sounds reasonable to me.

Actually, it seems kind of low, considering that's for a 14-month period. Especially considering what some sitcom stars make per episode.

Working From Home Today said...

Trev just disagreed with me. He says comparing it to sitcoms is apples to oranges. And there are so many characters on the show. Unless they're part of a major plotline, there must be large breaks for them.

RoyBoy said...

Really not so much as American "standards" seem to go, but I still think a bit of a "stretch of the neck" again ! by Anne, as opposed to long-runners Ken, Rita, Emily, Mike (oops !), Audrey, Gail (yuks!) , etc etc ...

The Big Seester said...

I have no idea how it compares to soap stars here in the States, except that I'll bet JR Ewing made more, and that was 20 years ago. Although Deirdre has become more of a Miss Ellie lately...

However, I will be placing an offer to Corrie - I'll do it for half. I do a pretty good Deirdre Barlow impression. I just need to develop my neck tendons.

Michigander Fan