Monday, November 27, 2006

The Idiot's Lantern

MJ made note of this a while back but I thought now would be a good time to bring it up again:

On CBC, you may want to catch tonight's episode of Doctor Who. The Doctor and Rose arrive on a small backstreet filled with turn of the century row houses. It's called Florizel Street and they're just in time for the 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

The original working title of Coronation Street was "Florizel Street" and Doctor Who's writer, Russell T. Davies, used to write for Corrie so this episode is something of a tribute.

5 comments:

Rob Swizzle said...

Playing The Wire was Maureen Lipman, who played a manageress of the Rovers in 2002. I don't remember her. Was she the one who shot Fred down so cruelly?

John said...

Who hasn't shot Fred down so cruelly?

The episode was just peppered with Corrie references with characters named Mavis, Bette, Tommy, Rita, and Bishop. But it was the missus who noticed the ducks wall mural which was Hilda Ogden's trademark.

Anonymous said...

It's not a mural. It's a 'muriel'.

Too bad there wasn't anyone wearing rollers and a hairnet.

Anonymous said...

You know, I enjoyed that episode a lot. I tried to watch 1 episode of the new series this fall and was fairly weirded out because it featured talking skin. I thought, OK. So...sci-fi, not for me. But this episode I liked a lot. It had a sort of Twilight Zone feel to it, and I loved the TZ.

Michigander Fan

Tinyvi said...

I will try and get some still Pics of that Doctor Who Called the IDIOTs LANTERN.