Monday, July 10, 2006

Yes, Virgina There Is a John Thomas


So on Friday's episode, Roy celebrates the battle of Trafalger at the cafe. Jack is uninterested until Roy explains that one of Jack's ancestors was Rear Admiral John Thomas Duckworth.

See, when I hear 'John Thomas' I'm thinking it's all fakey-fake, a historical character made up by the clever minds at Corrie.

Nope - there really was a JT Duckworth. AND he was born in Surrey, AND he was Commodore General of Newfoundland 1810-1812, AND there's a street named after him in Newfoundland.

Other Friday Events:

Gayle gets Phil over for a night of love and romance, except when they get to the romance part, she flips out in some kind of flashback nightmare of Richard and tells Phil to hit the road.

Bride-cilla doesn't think Kirkeh is up to the job as bestman, but Sophie and Chelsey suggest that they send him on a mission to complete 10 tasks to prove he's worthy. Bride-cilla calls him Kirkuleas and Glacia snorts Mai-Tai out of her nose.

Yana also waxes romantic about all the men in uniform she's loved before. I lost my notes, but she says something like, 'I just see an eppilet and I go all weak.' (I hear ya, sister, I hear you.)

The strike is still on, although Haley is having a hard time keeping the troops enthusiastic. Janice, on who's behalf the strike is on for, finds it hard to breakaway from her hangover to actual participate in the picket.

Sally decides to cross the picketline and there is much jostling and screaming, until Kevin comes over and tells them to lay off his wife.

12 comments:

papasmurf said...

There is also a fine pub in St. John's called the 'Duke of Duckworth' which is fine place to get a pint of Quidi Vidi beer.

Pamer said...

so the Battle of trafalgar was Oct 21st which means we are almost 10 months behind in storyline...damn CBC

John said...

Ah, St. John's - home of George St. TV. I should move there.

By my count, I think we're more like 9.5 months behind. Still, it's too friggin' much. Hell, I can't bear knowing an entire second season of Doctor Who has already aired in the UK and we're not getting it until October.

Beyond that, I'm now blind as I had to put Javex in my eyes to clean out the image of Gail being seduced by Phil.

papasmurf said...

I think what Yana said was 'when I see epaulets I turn to puttee.' (sic) A puttee is the piece of material that soldiers wrap around the top of their boots and socks to keep all the dirt and crap out. A clever play of words by the writer.

Jacqueline said...

ty papasmurf....

John said...

Nice catch, Papasmurf. What is it with the British and their puns?

kowy said...

I never thought of 'putty' vs. 'puttee'. Good one.

It's a very good thing that gail and the hairy Scotsman never got it on. It would have taken her too long to climb up him (another image that I would like burned out of my imagination)!

Kristin said...

i just wish gail would quit her blathering and stfu.

Pamer said...

i think the reason for all this Richard stuff is that we are going to find out that he really didn't die inthe crash. He's coming back!!!

maybe he's a brain eating zombie...maybe he's a CHUD, i don't know, but somehow he found some mutant sewer dwellers to live with and HE IS COMING BACK mwahaahaahaa

GoBetty said...

C.H.U.D.! C.H.U.D.! C.H.U.D.!

John said...

Underneath the canal, Hillman still lives in his underground liar where, alongside Mad Maya, he plots his revenge, just in time for sweeps.

Gail's flashback was, in fact, her latent telepathic powers warning her. She will not heed the warning until it's too late. Because she am dumb.

Unrelated but Sarah-Lou is a mermaid.

Pamer said...

Sarah is a Mermaid?? It's a Passion? Corrie crossover special