Wednesday, March 15, 2006

That's a fine, I say, a fine meat pie!


(original image found here)

While we're on the subject of unique national culinary exercises, may I kindly direct your attention to that great French-Canadian dish, the tourtière?

While meat pie translates from the english to pâté à la viande, the original tourtières came from France and there is some debate over the origin of the name. Some say the word tourte comes from the latin word torta, meaning a round loaf. A small number of others say it comes from tourtes, an extinct bird that believed to be closely related to the pigeon because the latin word for turtle dove is turtur. When the birds died out, the pie makers turned to pork as the main ingredient.

Tourtières come in variations but the most common involves a mixture of ground pork, beef, and often veal. Tourtière Lac St-Jean can contain pork, potatoes, duck, chicken, deer, caribou, or beef. Or all of those things together.

Still, they are so closely related to Fred Elliot's pies that I don't think that even he would dismiss it as "foreign fare."

They are best served with gravy, mashed potatoes, peas, and a Molson Ex.

Related links:

5 comments:

Ronymaru. said...

Se ve bueno eselibro.

Jacqueline said...

I'm posting my recipe tommorow

Pamer said...

No Name Tortierre?? Come on we can do much better

John said...

That was the brand I bought so the pic was appropriate (hey, I'm a budget).

John said...

"I'm a budget"

um

"I'm ON a budget."