Thursday, February 02, 2006

Nobody Replied About The Glasses

So I shall FORCE the issue!

Why was Claire put in those godawful glasses?

It's obvious to me that they (the Corrie gods) want to make certain characters (perhaps Claire) look deliberately bad, homely, out of style, loser-ish, lame, from another planet, completely behind the times, old beyond their years (or in Liz's case, too youthful and looking totally saddo trying to pull off a sexy look). They do it to make the characters seem real. You may not agree with me but you know what I mean. I get that they want the characters to look like regular people but sometimes the wardrobe choices go beyond the pale in terms of stupidity. I don't care how fictitious Whetherfield is. Clarie, or any believeable girl like her, would not go from perky cute nanny-type to matronly mope just because she got married and dreams about a life in public transportation, RIGHT?

I know that each character has a look: Shelley always goes sleeveless (just like Lacy in Corner Gas), Doris has his knit vests, Deirdre her glasses (see, someone ELSE is already sporting stupid specs!), Cilla her tart get-ups, Frankie her designer Missoni tops, Danny his sex appeal and Windsor knots in his ties (HUBBA), etc., etc., etc.

Why did they give Claire her assclown glasses?!?!

12 comments:

mare said...

i don't mind the glasses in principle, i just wish she'd have a decent pair. like anyone who actually wears glasses would own.

Tanya said...

that made me sad. she was so cute and young looking 'til they gave her those horrid goggles. ack...

i agree with mare...they could have given her something much more stylish.

Jacqueline said...

Come on, Betty, let us know how you really feel.

Personally, I didn't think the glasses made much sense.

John said...

I always thought it was a nod to Deirdre Barlow to have Claire take up the bad glasses torch.

My theory is that it's part of her character that (as I have often claimed) because Claire is slightly mad, she purposely chose the worst pair of glasses she could find.

To what end, I'm not sure. I've been building a 'Claire is Insane' case for some time.

missusmac said...

Claire strikes me as someone who would purposely pick the most unflattering glasses, and announce that if people didn't like the resulting look, they are too shallow to look beyond it. 'Cos Ashley likes it just fine.

Or something like that.

I liked Claire, but she's become a crankpot. Can you seriously see the current Claire having a night out with her old friends Fizz or Maria?

She'd be such a downer, they'd have to kill her, by hiting her over the head with her own glasses. They look weighty enough.

Anonymous said...

My theory? My husband pointed out, while looking through my old Coronation Street books, that Claire looks just like Dierdre without glasses in her younger days on the Street. I think that since they gave Dierdre half respectable glasses, they felt Claire would be best to pass on the tradition of having a pretty girl in fugly glasses. Just a thought.

Does that mean that someday Claire will look as haggered as Dierdre? Shudder.

GoBetty said...

That's more like it!
Agree, "glasses" are not the problem. Horrible 80's specs are the problem.

John said...

If Claire = Deidre, does this also mean Claire is going to sleep with half the men on the street?

One can only hope.

GoBetty said...

I'm sure that if the character of Claire endures on the show, over time her personality will change and she'll end up sleeping with a bunch of dudes. Ditto Ashley ('cept for the "dudes" part, tho one never knows). Ashley and Claire can't stay as indignant goody-goodies forever, right?

Kristin said...

i think they're trying to turn claire and ashley into a more loving version of jack and vera. tonnes of crazy antics, stories, etc. Everything about vera is tacky (although i love the character) so that's part of claire's "charm" too

Anonymous said...

There was a huge discussion on another Corrie site, about Claire's glasses. It was about the same time I got my new pair and I was told that in England and on the continent, Big Glasses ala Jackie Kennedy are back in style. It always takes us a while to catch up, so we can look forward to them here in Canada in the next year or two!

GoBetty said...

Claire's glasses will never be in style or back in style, come on! :-)