Friday, February 03, 2006

Manc Twang: Mad Fer It!

Ever since I started watching Coronation Street, I have been quietly incorporating bits of the Mancunian (or Manc) twang into daily conversation. It all started with the way in which our Audrey and her hairstyling employees, Maria and Candice spoke. Words such as “honestly” and "lovely" sounded like “honestleh” and “loveleh” (respectively). Increasingly, I found myself saying commonly heard phrases and words from the show like “shut yer gob”, “nowt” or “keks”. I even described Sally Webster to a friend as “Salleh”. It’s become infectious but I have doubts as to whether I’m emulating the "language" correctly or even in the proper context.

Thanks to the internet, there's help out there for folks like us. You may have come across these links before, but it's always fun to revisit:

Learn Mancunian in Ten Minutes (audio lesson) from the BBC follows the "listen and repeat" method of learning a new language. It's fab and fun. A few examples:

Hello, how are you? = y’alwright?
Everything appears in order = sorted
I don’t think you’re seeing my point of view = you’re off your trolleh

Collect Britain presents images and sounds from the British Library. Their English Accents and Dialects collection includes samples from Manchester: Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3

BBC Voices
has loads more info.

There's also a pdf file from the University of Manchester's Linguistics Department, if you really want to get technical about it.

Quick Facts: The Manc twang was popular with advertising bosses in 2002. The film 24 Hour Party People was thought in some part to have inspired its comeback. It was also popular during the Madchester music movement of the mid eighties to early nineties.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Nice one, Chelly. I've done research into the Yorkshire dialect but hadn't seen this material on Manchester.