Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Diggory’s Diet Dilemma


Diggory Compton

Coronation Street's Eric Potts has expressed concern that his role on the soap is encouraging him to put on weight.

The actor, who plays baker Diggory Compton, has been warned by doctors that his health is at risk unless he makes an effort to start eating sensibly. Unfortunately, being surrounded by cakes all day is proving just too tempting for the star.

"It's ironic that my big TV break involves me being surrounded by bread and cakes," Eric told The Mirror. "I love playing Diggory but it means I am facing temptation every day. As soon as I get a whiff of a freshly-baked loaf, I just have to have a nibble."

"I tip the scales at around 20 stone, which is a little alarming," he confessed. "And I have been heavier, I'm ashamed to say. I know overweight people are putting their health at risk. I have two young daughters, so if I could drop a couple of stone, I would be very happy.

"Hopefully I could shed the weight without any great loss to Diggory's image. My problem is a lack of willpower. I have been on so many diets and all without much success. They last until, oh, lunchtime. But turning 40 is a good time to make a fresh start."

10 comments:

papasmurf said...

You would think they would have fake baked goods that would last a lot longer - but I guess if you're the #1 show in the UK you can afford the real thing.

Anonymous said...

On the Corrie St. Fun pages -- link to the left on the home page -- there is a description of a tour of the Street.

The author says the cakes in the window of Diggory's shop aren't real. The bread, although stale, was real.

You can click on pics of the shop for a close up view, as well as the set of Les and Cilla's kitchen. I warn you though, the sight of that crusty stove will make you lose your lunch!

missusmac said...

Check out those hands!!!!

They are huge. More muppet evidence...

How much is a stone? Is it about 15 lbs?

GoBetty said...

HE'S 40???????????????????

Ginny said...

Oh, that man (Diggory character) is annoying!

papasmurf said...

A stone is 16 Imperial pounds

Rowan said...

thank you for contacting me about your blog....I LOVE corrie, and I read the updates in the UK daily. Thanks again for the invite already I am enjoying your blog.

MJ said...

Welcome Rowan. Glad you could visit!

MJ said...

Yup. He's 40. Born in Sept. 1965.

Chelly said...

Those cakes he was passing around last week, sure looked good! Now, I'm hungry.