Monday, January 23, 2006

Coronation Street Quotes of the Week


Diggory Flamin’ Compton - Masterbaker

Diggory: (to anyone who’ll listen) “I’ve got a bun in the oven.”





Blanche Hunt - The Facilitator

Norris takes issue that Audrey and Fred are interlopers in the book club.

Norris: (to Audrey): “What’s your excuse?”

Blanche: “She’s Mel’s groupie. And Fred Elliott’s her groupie.”

More Blanchisms

Blanche: (to Ken) “I don’t know why you bother to come if all you can do is moan. Why don’t you go home and write one of your columns about dog muck?”

Blanche: (to Gandalf): “I hope you’ll be treating us to some Hard Grinding this evening.”





Charlie Stubbs – Suburban cowboy

Charlie: (to Shelley) “Hero to zero in six months, Shel. How did that happen?”

Charlie: (armed with caulking gun): I’m Charlie Stubbs. Licence to fill.”





Norris Cole – The Alpha

Norris: (reading from his new novel) “It’s a thriller. Set in the world of stationery.” … “There’s more to paperclips than you might think, he said… rakishly.”





Roy Cropper – Roll model

Roy: (to Gandalf) “Hard Grinding must give you some satisfaction, Mel.”





Liz McDonald – Caboose on the loose

Liz: (on her visits to Jim in prison) “I’ve done without it for so long that I pray for a body search.”

5 comments:

GoBetty said...

I too "pray for a body search".

Jacqueline said...

I regularily get myself arrested - just for that reason.

Chelly said...

The Hard Grinding quotes were my faves. And Roy and Blanche of all people to utter such phrases! Love it!

John said...

Man, the writers were on fire last week, weren't they?

I liked Dev hurling the epithet "quisling!" at Roy. I had to look it up:

The Wikipedia Entry on Vidkun Quisling:

"Vidkun Abraham Lauritz Jonssøn Quisling (July 18, 1887–October 24, 1945) was a Norwegian fascist politician and officer. He held the office of Minister President of Norway from February 1942 to the end of World War II, while the elected social democratic cabinet of Johan Nygaardsvold was exiled in London. Quisling was tried for high treason and executed by firing squad after the war. His name has become an eponym for traitor."

mare said...

i knew what quisling meant.

but then, it's ww2 history, so i WOULD know what it meant.

blanche talking about hard grinding, with such gusto... that was damned funny.